[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 7 kv -at- 1 amp[ transformer

On Tue, 9 Apr 1996 tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com wrote:

> I have a chance to pick up a 7 kv -at- 1 amp plate transformer at a very
> good price. I wonder if anyone in the group has attempted to work with
> this low a voltage transformer....successfully?
> Would appreciate any inputs
> Skip Greiner

Here in Finland the highest voltage available from a neon-xformer
is only 8 kV centertapped and that has been used succesfully. I
think that 7kV will work ok as well - it's just a matter of
designing the gaps so that they can _accurately_ be set to very
little distance between electrodes etc.. As you have a lower
voltage you won't as easily blow caps and with that extra
current (1amp) you can charge the cap many times per half-cycle
and thus get more power-throughput with a rotary gap..

Yours,

  Kristian Ukkonen.