[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: T.C. Phone Home

Subject:       Re: T.C. Phone Home

>From: "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
>To: tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com
>Date:          Mon, 22 Apr 1996 12:40:22 +1200
>Subject:       Re: T.C. Phone Home

>Robert Stevens wrote...

>> So what?, you must be saying to yourself if you're still reading
>> this.  Well, what it is is that the whole time during this recording,
>> in the background I can hear ZZZZZZZZZZT.......ZZZZT.....ZZZZZZZT...,
>> in 400Hz whine whenever my T.C. contacted a ground target with a good
>> hot streamer.  Apparently artificially lifting  ground here with some
>> artificial lightning induced  noise currents in my phone lines.

Malcolm asks;
>Question : to what was the coil earthed? Also, were you effectively
>using the building reinforcing as a strike return path?

>Malcolm

Malcolm,

The bottom of the secondary is tied to a #0000 welding cable 15 feet
long.  This cable connects to a ten foot long galvanized commercial
ground rod driven into the ground just outside of my test room.
Overhead strike wires  below my overhead lighting circuits, and 2 inch
grid chicken wire mesh strike shield spaced 2 inches away from the
one inside wall adjoining the rest of the building  also tie in to this common
ground point.  Aside from the meshed wall, two walls and the roof are
sheet metal.  Since I have installed my strike wires and mesh I
hardly ever actually hit the metal building walls directly. The fourth wall to
the test room is a giant wooden door which alllows a full 12 foot high coil
system to be wheeled outside for more serious high power tests.  My
AC service ground is not tied to my TC secondary/strike ground, it has its
own ground rod 30 feet away at the other end of the building where the AC mains
come in underground, and where the overhead telephone lines come in and have
their ground protection carbon blocks tied to the AC ground.

I have plans to move where I can have bigger shop space ASAP.  If
I stay here much longer I'm going to drive another ground rod or two
and add them to the common point system.

Happy coiling!, rwstephens