[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: High frequency impedance of a neon sign transformer

On Mon, 8 Apr 1996 20:00:48 +0700, tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com, you
wrote:

>>From EDHARRIS-at-MPS.OHIO-STATE.EDU Mon Apr  8 16:18 MDT 1996

>Hi Jim, Malcolm, all
>
>	Jim, nice table of values, but I think it
>may have gotten distorted a bit in transmission.
Did you/anyone pick it off my ftp site?
ftp.bdt-dot-com/home/jim.fosse/	?

>I just wanted to add that I measured a newer Jefferson
>Electric Neon 15kV 60ma and got different results.

[table snip]
>Note the 300kHz Z is twice the size of the impedance
>I measured on a differnt 15kV 60ma neon as previously
>reported! I guess the contruction is somewhat different
>or else the potting compount is now less lossy?
>
>Also note that unlike the old neon, this one seems to have
>a resonance point at 600Hz or so! Very interesting. But you
>got 3kHz right?
yes

>Also, just to check, I tried about a decade difference in
>excitation voltages. The impedance remained the same to
>within about 10% for different drive voltages.

Ed,
	How are you determining the impedance? I'm beginning to
question my method of using a pot in series with the inductor. i.e. I
is 90 degrees out of phase with V. therefor the V across the resistor
is out of phase with the applied voltage.

	jim