[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Plate capacitor

Greetings,

Is the 60 mil poly in small sheets or in a larger roll?  If it is a roll,
I would recommend that you consider rolled caps instead.  I made a plate
cap and smoked it in very little time.  The problem may have been the
construction though.  I used two long sheets of foil and folded them
in the following manner:

____________________
 ___________________]
| ===================== |
|  _____________________|
|zap[____________________
|  ==================== |
|___________________    |
.
.
.

where the ==='s are the dielectric.  The failure occurred between the plates
at the zap.  Perhaps using Richard Quicks construction will be better than
my method, but you should be aware of this type of failure.

With the rolled caps, I have never had any problems.

Chip