[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Primary Strike Guard

 * Original msg to: 102505.61-at-compuserve-dot-com
 * Carbons sent to: usa-tesla-at-usa-dot-net

Quoting Scott Myers <102505.61-at-compuserve-dot-com>:

> In one of your recent messages you mention your primary strike
> guard or rail. What is this.  One turn of copper around the
> outside of your primary that is grounded?

Yes, but it is not a complete turn, rather it is an open turn
that is not allowed to loop back to itself.

> I remember someone else mentioning this a while back, probably
> Richard Quick.  Is this a must on high power coils?

Yes.

> Does it affect the coupling of the primary to the secondary;
> i.e. - some coupling goes to this rail instead of the
> secondary.

If the strike rail were a complete turn it would probably melt
from the induced current, but since it is open it does not bother
anything.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12