[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Rotary/stationary gaps

Hi Chip,

Well, Ive never done an ASCI pic more complex than a 'smiley' so
perhaps I'll just and give a more clear description. :)

Ok, I'll describe the layout of my gap. It consists of a rotor
made from 1/2 inch G-10 glass-epoxy material and balanced to 5000rpm.
It has 12  1/4 inch Tungsten studs mounted about the disk and
protruding 1/2 inch on both sides.
The 12 stationary electrodes (6per side) are secured in place so
that they correspond to the positions of ever second
elctrode on the rotor. With this arrangment
on both sides. The stationary elctrodes are strapped together
in series so that 12 rotory breaks occurr simultaniously in series.
This setup,in my opion (no flaming thanks) makes single electrode
rotaries with static gaps in series 'old hat'! I havent played
high pressure air quenching, so I'll reserve the 'old hat' comment
so far as that goes.  :)

A rotor with 12 electrodes is also a VERY good idea, as 12 has
lots of multiples so you can remove 2,6,8,9 or 10 electrodes and
still have the remaining ones evenly spaced for a 12,6,4,3, or 2
electrode rotor. Though of course for the(6 per side) series rotor
only 6 electrodes could be removed or it would'nt fire.
The series/rotary with a 12 electrode rotor can be made with
'stationaries per side' in any multiple of 12.(except 1 )
I just suggested a 2 rotor system for 'Marks big coil' in order
to 'share' the stress that a 50KVA system must produce.

I hope this helps. I can try and re-explain if that was a bit
sketchy. I think I'll practice my ASCI art! :)

Marcus