[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Neon Xformer bypass caps

 * Carbons Sent to: usa-tesla-at-usa-dot-net

Quoting Don Froula <froula-at-cig.mot-dot-com>:
Subject: Neon Tranformer bypass caps.

> I have four, no-PCB, oil filled transmitter bypass caps rated
> at 25KV each at .012 uF.  I would like to use these a bypass
> caps on my Tesla filter board.

> With my neon transformer supply, I planned on using two caps in
> series on each side of the neon to ground.  This should give a
> DC voltage rating of 50 KV  at .006 uF.  From what I have read,
> the capacitance is a bit high for a neon. Will there be any
> problem with destructive oscillations in the neon secondary
> with this arrangement.

I have seen a problem when similar values were used for bypass
caps. The currents produced melted holes in a one inch ground
strap and welded spots of the strap to the cases of the neon
transformers where incidental contacts occured. There was
significant heat, spark, and smoke produced.

> The France neon sign transformer applications manual warns
> against long HV cable runs, due to the effectives of the
> capacitance on "the tranformer insulation system".  I wonder if
> there will be a similar problem here.

Not in this application.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12