[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

240v

(hmmm.  I missed this the first time by.)

>>> In addition,
>>> since 240V is really two 120V lines with a 90 degree phase difference,
	Not now.  Tesla (ahemmmmmm) had a two phase system like this.  8)>>

>Ummm....
>Just to split hairs, the phase difference is 180 degrees between the
>two phases (for "single" phase power)
	ummmmmmm.  Delicate point.  Depends  on how the measurement is made.
	If it is measured from the poitn of view of a scope referenced to
	the usual neutral, yeah 180.

	BUT.

	"measured" as a 240v load sees it, hot to hot, the phasing is 0.
	_zero_.  If it was 180, then the voltage across the outside would
	be _zero_.  Its not.  Its 240.

	(I once got into a nearlyoutandoutflamewar on this some years back.
	We FINALLY figgered out that the "180_folk" wqere measuring from the
	neutral/gnd.  I was "measuring" cross the load.  Float the scope.
	measure from one hot to neutral  (careful, unless skilled), then probe
	a second probe from first hot to second hot.  All in phase.)

(And Chip implicitly covered the "other" "240" v system.  Explicitly: Some
systems give a "240v" feed by tapping across two phases of a three phase star.
This leaves 208 nominal, and 120(60) phasing....)

	regards
	dwp
	(who will be off the net until Monday....)