[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Secondary Voltage

You wrote:

>Does anyone know approximately what the secondary voltage is on a coil
that
>is producing 5 to 6 feet of spark?  I have seen some discussion on
this but
>never seen any numbers.  Is it like 2 million volts?

The maximum theoretical output voltage which is generally unobtainable
from any Tesla coil is:

             Vsec = Vpri * sqrt(Ls / Lp)

With the usual components people use, 60-70% of this value is doing
well.  If you want to see the "true" spark length of your coil, press
your ZAP button for an instant.  The discharge you see is more like the
real thing.  It is because Tesla coils stay on "continuously" that we
get good air channel heating and ionization which allows the spark to
grow.  Spark length, therefore is more indicative of power than
voltage.

Zap,
Mark

P.S.
Don't be too disappointed when you put numbers into the above formula.
My big coil does 25ft and I'm still working on my first million volts.