[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Rotary and pig testing

cc: tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com

Richard,

After we talked last night, I did some more testing.  I can get a good jacobs
ladder with the pig transformer by using resistive loading only.  Using a
2000W heater the ladder works and I get 10A primary current.  Using about
5000W I get about 27A primary current and a nice hot arc on the ladder.  The
arc does go up the ladder and it is hot.  If I run it too long the brass rods
get so hot they start to fall over.  I think the pig is working fine.

As I mentioned, I ran the rotary with two 12kv 30ma neons and the rotary
works good.  Limited to 10,000V I get about 20" discharges.  So the rotary
and the pig are both ok.

Next I connected the pig back up to the coil with 7000W of resistive load and
the welder out of the circuit.  Using the rotary gap only I do get consistent
firing.  Limited to about 10,000V I get 10A of primary current and about 20"
discharges.  Since I'm now supplying about 150ma of current to the coil
primary circuit I would expect to get much better performance than I had with
the two 12kv 30 ma neons.  Do you have any ideas?

I also tried the same setup only with a static gap in series with the rotary.
 The performance was not as good.

When doing this testing, sometimes I hear a loud pop from the rotary.  I
don't know what is causing this.

So far, I still have had much better performance with a 12kv 120ma neon power
supply than with the new pig.  This thing is indeed difficult to figure out.

Can you give me a detailed description of your setup?  Rotary, static gap,
welder, resistive loads, etc.  At what variac setting does everything start
to work well?  My pig should put out 14,400v but I have never had it up over
10,000v when connected to the coil.

Thanks,  Ed Sonderman