[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

POWER TRANSFORMERS...?

Quoting Dan Kline:

 DK> Hello all!

 DK> Even though the recent FAQ listed sources for power transformers,
 DK> I am having a terrible time finding a transformer that is not meant
 DK> to drive neon signs.

 DK> I would really like to know where I can get a _good_ non-neon
 DK> transformer that would supply about 10 kV -at- 2-500 mA.

 DK> I called the Transformer Bank yesterday, and "Chris" said that my
 DK> needs were too small for them to deal with.

I am at a loss here. This is the second complaint I have had of poor
service from the Transformer Bank in recent weeks, yet they have always
treated me promptly, and I have always gotten exactly what I wanted at
the best possible price. It is true that they are more geared to the
institutional purchaser, but if you don't take up a ton of their time,
and you speak the lingo, you should have no problem.

1) You need to have a fax machine, or the fax board on your computer
ready to go.

2) Call them up and tell them you need plate specs on some HV trans-
formers with a 5 - 10 kVA rating, primary 120/240, secondary 11 - 14 kv,
two high voltage bushings, no taps. Get the saleman's name.

3) You should get at least 3 faxes within 30 - 40 minutes. If you don't
then call back and ask what is taking so long.

4) Look over the basic info given on the faxes. Is one of them the
transformer for you?  Call them back and ask for a price, including
shipping.

5) Send a certified cashiers check.

6) You will have the transformer within two weeks of posting the
certified check.

Maybe the reason I have had such good luck with them is I always
follow up steps 1 - 4 with step #5 the next business day. Then
they don't feel they wasted their time.

 DK> He referred me a gentleman here in S.C. who supposedly disposed
 DK> of power transformers for a utility company in the northern part
 DK> of the state.

Licensed transfer yard. Stay away from them. They get EPA licenses
to accept old PCB filled cores. They drain the cans and supposedly
rinse the cores with solvent to remove all traces of PCB. They
usually scrap the cores, but I suppose some cans are refilled and
resold. The problem is these cores are old, and the windings are
frequently contaminated with water and other crud.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12