[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

PRIMARY SHORTS

TE>From richard.quick-at-slug-dot-org Fri Mar  3 01:14 MST 1995

TE> > From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
TE> > Subject: Primary shorts

TE>Quoting Ed Sonderman:

TE> ES> Richard,

edited

TE> ES> I have another question.  When I shut the coil off after
TE> ES> running for several minutes, I can draw a small spark from
TE> ES> the system RF ground to my hand - up to 20 minutes later.  I
TE> ES> don't understand this.  All connections to the AC line are
TE> ES> broken.

TE>Ahh, another interesting function of Tesla systems. As much as I
TE>post on this subject, it is hard to make people understand until
TE>they actually experiment. The ground is not at ground potential
TE>when a Tesla coil is in use: the ground is hot. If you doubt the
TE>validity of this statement, ground a lone secondary coil that
TE>resonates at your system frequency to the system ground and fire.
TE>The bare secondary will resonate to good spark on the ground
TE>current.

I would like to understand this properly. By "system ground" do
you mean the "large buried conductor" out back ?

Are you saying that you have two identical secondaries, one
connected to system ground and the other connected up into the
Tesla circuit ? Then fire the coil, and watch arcs coming off the
other secondary ?

One of my problems here is that we lack a real circuit diagram of
all these things. I know you have posted some, but not yet (that
I've seen) in their entirety. It's very difficult to show
circuits in ASCII, bloody difficult. Maybe we should have a GIF
or (better) a Postscript (or Ghostscript) file circulated of the
main ideas of circuits incorporating all the ideas talked about,
stuff like power factor caps, safety gaps, chokes, and guard
rails etc and all their earthing circuits as well.

Jim Oliver <jim.oliver-at-welcom.gen.nz> (3:771/370)

 * SLMR 2.1a *