A response to your recently posted work on tesla coil construction part #4.
Good discussion by the way. Those are about the same instructions you gave
me and I have had exellent results.
I used the following method to mount my torroid. On top of the secondary
plastic end plate, I glued a pvc end cap for 1.0" dia pvc pipe with the open
end up. It helps to sand or turn it on a lathe to get it nice and flat. Now
I insert a short piece of 1.0" dia pvc pipe of the height desired (I am using
about 6.0" now). Do not glue it. Then I take another end cap and flatten
the end off again and drill a 1/4" hole in it. Then I insert a 1.0" long 1/4
x 20 nylon screw through the hole from the inside. Place a piece of tape
over the head to hold it in place. Now place this cap on the stand off pipe.
My torroids all have a 1/4" dia hole drilled through the center. I set the
torroid down over the screw, using a large nylon washer and tighten it down
nylon wing nut. I have the top 2.0" of the tail of the secondary wire
stripped bare and wound into a loop. I place this over the screw before
sitting the torroid in place. So it gets clamped into place when the wing
nut is tightened. This achieves a mechanical and electrical connection at
the same time. The end caps make it easy to change pipe lengths and the
attachment method allows easy changing of torroids. Which I never thought
would be a problem but now I have three.
I now wish I would have gone with 2.0" dia pvc caps and pipe since my
dischargers have grown so large - for more stability.
I am just completing my newest torroid and should get it fired up tonight.
It is again made of 5.0" dia corrugated black plastic drain pipe. I used
about 9.5 feet of drain pipe and a 30" acrylic disc for the center.
Finished, it is about 40.0" in diameter.