[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: About to begin anew..

 NTAC> Hello all!

 NTAC> I am about to begin begin my 7th Tesla-coil. After reading this list
 NTAC> for awhile, and seeing all of the new insights manifested here, I
 NTAC> would like this coil to be the very best so far. All of my designs in
 NTAC> the past used the old methods, and while I get good results, I can't
 NTAC> say that I've ever gotten the _great_ results all of you write about.
 NTAC> With all of this in mind, here is what I have to work with:

 NTAC> 2) 15 kV 60 mA neon transformers for 15 kV -at- 120 mA input
 NTAC> 1) 0.02 microF 120 kV military surplus capacitor
 NTAC> 1) roll of 1/4 inch (.635 cm.) copper tubing for the primary
 NTAC> 8) 18 inch x 1/8 inch (46 cm. x 3 mm) Aluminum plates for a series
 NTAC> quenched gap
 NTAC> 1) roll of 24-gauge magnet-wire, polyurethane and polyamide coated
 NTAC> 1) PVC pipe, 10 inches (25.4 cm) in diameter, and 43 inches (109 cm)
 NTAC> long 1) 12 inch (30.5 cm) non-magnetic, stainless-steel discharge
 NTAC> electrode (This is shaped like a toroid with plates on the top and
 NTAC> bottom, or like a dough-nut without the hole. It is very smooth,
 NTAC> with a very gradual curve to it. It's about 4 inches (10 cm.)
 NTAC> thick. It is hollow, btw)

 MG> I think the 10" dia. form is too big for your power level, but even
     more so, too big for #24 ga. wire. I would make the secondary winding
     20" long and 6" in diameter for #24 wire.

 NTAC> I have always spaced the wire turns in all of the larger coils, but
 NTAC> now I read that this may not be necessary. I even biult a kind of lathe
 NTAC> that cuts threads in the forms in the desired spacing. Should I junk
 NTAC> this machine?

 MG> I don't know if I'd junk it, but I would'nt use it for winding coils.

 NTAC> If any one of you had this same equipment and wanted to build a coil,
 NTAC> what special considerations would you take?

 MG> Proper secondary form preparations, Forced air series spark gap.

 MG> I'm abit concerned about your capacitor, it may not be good for Tesla
 coil work if it has a high internal inductance, I would try running a Q test
 on the capacitor. It may not be designed for High pulse current service.

                              Mark Graalman TCBA #1399

 NTAC> I'm not a novice, so don't hold back on vocabulary :)

 NTAC> Thanks in advance for any advice!

 NTAC> Dan Kline <klineda-at-univscvm.csd.scarolina.edu>

... Alias, Mark the spark
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12