[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Capacitors in Series

As soon as someone admits to being foggy on series-connected
capacitors an automatic caution flag needs to come up. Anytime
caps go in series, and especially if you're about to throw a
'megavolt' across it a set of parallel resistors needs to be
provided. This equalises the voltage across each capacitor, and
consists simply of a resistor across each cap of the series
combination...looks like a ladder network. Unless this is done
the cap string will not act as a voltage divider, and one or
more caps may end up with a voltage across them that exceeds
their working voltage rating. At least this is the practice
with capacitor banks that are expected to have dc voltages
across them. If run off ac only the caps will voltage divide,
but the resistors still sound like a good precaution to me.

Comments?

nvv