[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

words, grounds, etc

>Dear dwp,

>You should be writing textbooks.
	I should be quiet, lest i put my foot in it AGAIN.  I have "assisted"
	Richard Q and others before in demonstrating the limits of textbook
	knowledge, sometimes by ASSing publically....  8)>>

>Maybe we need a new word for this "saturation" effect.
	In a purebred use of the english laguage (or its local dialect,
	'merican, 8)>>) "saturation" is a fine word, exactly intended to
	describe what is being seen.  It just gets used in a special and
	shorthand sense by _magnetic_ _core_ folk (the full phrase is more like
	magnetic core saturation...), so caution is needed.  And the mag-core
	case, is referring to saturation of an element in an (apparently)
	understood manner.  As applied to "saturation" of the power in/volts out
	of a coil, it is describing the behavior of a SYSTEM, a behaviour which
	I (and apparently others more skilled) find puzzling.  (My guess is
	that s the voltage climbs, corona & other things leak it off, but
	thats a GUESS from a bookworm...)

>I have been calling the very same thing the "zener effect" for about ten years.
>That is, more power in = same spark out.
	Hmmmm.  OK, i had not read carefully enuf to recognize that.  To me
	"zenering" (from the "discoverers" name, the rest of which i cannot
	recall) is a SPECIFIC behavior of a back biased solid state diode.
	Notably useful for regulating voltage, clamping surges, etc.

>The effect gets worse as power levels go up.
	methinks this is a side effect of as power goes up, voltage tries to
	and the "corona" gets worse, but thast speculation.

	(build in space, an inflated ballon for a top terminal  8)>>)

	In any case, use care in my or anyones textbook based ravings.

=====================================
Stainless steel grounds...
Not having seen any others comment:  I happen to be reading a book written in
1870ish on lighting rod research.  This includes tests specifically of the
effectiveness of iron/copper/others.  One might intuit that iron, due to
magnetic effects would be bad.  THOSE tests (and i am sure there are more
modern, but i have not gottem) indicate that for "lightning" (test discharges
from Leyden jars) there is little if any difference, size & SHAPE of conductor
being more important.  (They were, at that date, calcualting the effective
frequencies, confirming by observation of expected interaction with known L and
C).  Lighting frequencies are in the general "coiling region" of 100K to 1M,
so the results would seem applicable.  Leyden jar discharges, as Tesla
Primary side, are commonly osciallatory.

Measuring voltage...
I've a 1949ish textbook on HV work, somewhere.  The one techique i recall
is from a 1950s homebuilt van de graff article.  Basically, build a multiplier
of LOTS of hi meg resistors, stacked in series, & take the voltage just befor
sparking/streamering sets in.  Easier said than done, involving lots of
detail to keep leakage, etc from messing up the results.

I have heard it said that Tesla if WORKING (as opposed to testing) would have
operated below the point where streamers, etc, start.  But i cheerfully
yield to more careful reading/study.

	regards
	dwp
	(Who will be off the net for the next week or so...)