[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Current transformers

cc: tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com

Mark Graalman,

You are correct, air wound pick up coils do not work.  Last night I tried
using a coil out of a large solenoid.  It is wound with small wire, like #30
awg, thousands of turns on a plastic form.  I passed the main RF ground wire
from the secondary through the center.  Running the coil at half power, I
could not measure any AC voltage on my meter.  I built a full wave diode
bridge and put a .005 mfd capacitor across the outputs.  I could see the volt
meter just barley move on the lowest DC voltage scale.  I switched the meter
to the 25 microamp current scale and could measure a couple of microamps
which did change as I varied the power input to the coil, but not much.

I hauled all my old televisions to the dump years ago.  I guess I will have
to call some TV repair shops and see if I can find an old flyback
transformer.

Ed Sonderman