[Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arcing and current

That sounds like it makes sense.  I "fixed" the secondary that we are talking
about with a bunch of epoxy on the outside and between the windings.  Once
it cured, I was ready.  This saturday I fired the thing up and noticed several
things (I don't remember the exact order though): What looked like a cobweb
type of discharge between the tap clamp on the primary and the outside of the
secondary.  Then I heard this strange hollow sparking sound.  Later, I saw
a bunch of sparks all over the secondary.  After a bit of investigation, I
discovered that the hollow sparking sound was an arc inside the secondary.
The arc was about 2" long and left a small carbon track on the cardboard.
Therefore, I think that I will replace the entire secondary with a plastic
tube.  I have heard that using concrete forms is bad because they are
somewhat conductive.  Based on saturday's experience, I would have to
agree.  I think I will try using a PVC or HDPE tube next time.

Does this mean that the current that can be drawn from a variac is limited
only by the "meltdown current"?

Chip