[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla!

> I know that this can't be done with a neon sign transformer,
> because the input windings arent' made to handle that kind of
voltage.
> On yours I don't know.  But I would be real careful.....those
> transformers aren't current limited, so you will need some form of
> external current limiting to prevent a power arc in your AC supply.

The reason that neon sign transformers don't work this way is that the
secondaries are center-tapped and grounded to the case.  There's no
way to wire them together in series to increase the voltage; you would
simply be shorting out half of each transformer if you tried it.  I imagine
this would be a pretty good way to toast your transformers, though.

I finally wired my microwave oven transformers together last night and
tried it out at low voltage, and everything seemed to work as
advertised!

Since my transformers have two input terminals and two output
terminals with nothing grounded, I used the two transformers together
to effectively make a single center-tapped transformer.  By tying
one output terminal from each transformer together and grounding
them, each transformer is still putting out the rated voltage (4kV AC)
relative to ground.  But wired in series, depending on the phase
difference between the two voltages, the maximum voltage difference
between the ungrounded output terminals can be either 0 V (when the
voltages are in phase, i.e. - one terminal's voltage goes up and down
relative to ground just like the other terminal's), or 8kV (when the
voltages are 180 degrees out of phase, i.e. - one terminal's voltage is
+V relative to ground and the voltage on the other terminal is -V relative
to ground, giving a 2V difference).

You can get a 180 degree shift in the output voltage by simply
reversing the input leads, so if you wire everything up and the voltage
difference is 0 V, then just reverse the120 V wires on one of the
transformers and you should have it made.

Steven Roys (sroys-at-anchorage.ab.umd.edu)