[Home][2017 Index] Re: [TCML] Low Power Coil Questions [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Low Power Coil Questions

Hi Guape,

I would say that you're getting very good results for what it is.  Here are
the things I would recommend for improving performance.

1. The biggest improvement would be switching from salt water caps to a
polypropylene MMC.  Losses in the glass dielectric are very high.

2. The spark gap - It's very possible that your brass acorn nuts are in
fact brass-plated white metal, which erodes very fast and leaves a
sharp-edged crater at the point of arcing.  The sharp edge reduces the
breakdown voltage of the gap, and the edges get hot which impedes
quenching.  Kudos to you for adding the forced air cooling - this makes a
big difference. But instead of using the acorn nuts that have a single
point of arcing, I would recommend using a cylinder gap made of copper
pipes, that arc along the length of the pipes.  There is some debate over
using multi-segment gaps or single segment gaps.  I favor single segment
gaps with a vacuum cleaner motor to move a lot of air - construction and
adjustment are easier and I believe losses are lower in single segment gaps.

3. The fact that you see multiple streamers from the toroid suggests that
you could use a larger toroid with fewer, longer sparks.  Bigger toroids
ALWAYS result in longer sparks. The down side is that a bigger toroid is
more difficult to build, and can't be done in isolation.  If you make a
bigger toroid, you'll have to accommodate the lower resonant frequency by
having a larger primary, which brings us to...

4. Bigger IS Better on all TC components.  One should use the largest
primary capacitor that the NST is capable of charging to have the biggest
possible bang size.  For a 12/30 NST @60Hz you want about .01uF, although
it's not critical like a resonent frequency. Same applies to primary and
secondary size and inductance, subject of course to resonance constraints.
Bigger components result in lower frequencies which have lower losses.
Both your primary and secondary sound like they would benefit by having
more turns.  Primary currents, and hence losses, are lower with higher
inductances.  It soon becomes a choice between a smaller, more portable
coil vs. a larger, bulkier and better performing coil.  But be warned -
step 4 is a slippery slope and you may embark on a never-ending quest of
constant upgrades.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA