[Home][2016 Index] Re: [TCML] Coil Frequency [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Coil Frequency

I don't know that the frequency so much affects how long the sparks might
reach, but I think you can't go wrong with the adage - bigger is better -
even when the available power is held constant.

Bigger top loads always out-perform smaller top loads, as the higher top
capacitance delivers a larger charge reservoir to feed the spark channel.
Bigger secondary coils have higher inductance, which results in lower
frequencies, which have lower skin-effect losses.  Higher inductance
secondary coils require comparably higher inductance primary coils, which
result in lower spark gap losses due to lower primary currents.

Bigger is better - you can't go wrong!

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA