[Home][2016 Index] Re: [TCML] Shape [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Shape

Jim,

I have a contrarian friend who built a TC with a square primary and secondary, just to prove that it could be done. It does work, in a manner of speaking, but tends to arc from corners at the top of the secondary. I would say that the performance is less than what I would expect from the effort involved.

I'd guess that other shapes could be constructed, but I believe that concentric cylindrical primaries and secondaries are going to give the greatest spark length and intensity for a specific power input. The object of a TC is to couple energy from the primary into the secondary with maximum efficiency. Any other geometries will be less efficient than concentric cylindrical windings.

A few years ago, someone on the list discussed a system that used three smaller diameter secondaries wired in parallel in a triangular arrangement surrounded by a circular primary. It reputedly had reasonable performance but no dramatic advantages over a single secondary of conventional diameter were described.

Dave