[Home][2016 Index] Re: [TCML] Ever so slightly off topic. (NOTICE: Link may need editing) [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Ever so slightly off topic. (NOTICE: Link may need editing)

The diode has two functions.
1. To allow the inductive kick back from the coils to have a high impedance ( like it would when the contacts open in a car ignition circuit) this ensures the field collapses quickly generating the high voltage. 2. To prevent the inductive kick (~400v -ve pulse) back flowing back in to the 30v rated transistors releasing the magic smoke.

I do have a problem with that circuit, a 1n4007 is a 1A diode. Most ignition coils saturate at 5-10A, so either the on time is so short as to limit the current to 1A (with reduced output) or the diode is severely underrated.

Derek