[Home][2016 Index] Re: [TCML] Explanation of observed VDG behavior [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Explanation of observed VDG behavior

Matt,
Can you link a picture with your current setup and the arc? Im curious.
CheersJay
------ Original message------From: msweeney23@gmail.comDate: Fri, Jan 8, 2016 11:29 AMTo: Tesla Coil Mailing List;Cc: Subject:[TCML] Explanation of observed VDG behavior
Hi all, im seeing some behavior i cannot explain with my current non-pumped VDG and hoping we could start a discussion.The machine is using a 14" steel collector and 10 ft latex belt. It is running beautifully without a traditional corona ring or opening radius due to a non-conductive corona-ring like solution i found by accident (imagine a 1 inch thick smooth rubber ring just below the collector opening).Here is what i am seeing:The collector charges quickly and without any leakage and spontaneously throws off hot loud discharges into empty air. The discharge starts off as a normal straight single spark for about 2-4 inches then suddenly branches off into 4 fainter thick ones reaching 10-20 inches out finally terminating in a blue 'mist'.These discharges seem to occur spontaneously at 90 degree apart almost always horizontally outward (sometimes straight up).I've found it almost impossible to capture this on video but might have a picture i can enhance to show it.Any arcs drawn to ground around 10inches are incredibly loud, thick and extremely bright. In some cases they will also split into 4 thicker fainter discharges.The ozone generation is copious and im a little concerned of x-rays!So what is the deal with these 90 degree/sets of 4 it seems awfully regular!Thanks for any education on this behavior.Matt_______________________________________________Tesla mailing listTesla@pupman.comhttp://www.pupman.com/mailman/listinfo/tesla