[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Voltage/power dissapation drop across HV DC current limiting resistors. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Voltage/power dissapation drop across HV DC current limiting resistors.

Matt,

I still don't think you need any resistors at all in the circuit.

The NST is capable of putting out 30 mA onto a short circuit, but it would be putting out only a few hundred volts at that current draw. NSTs have high leakage inductance built in, because they are purpose built for driving neon tubes. They can put out 30 mA at zero voltage, or 15 kV at zero current, but never both at the same time. The current/voltage curve is a strong inverse hyperbolic relationship.

A neon tube is an extremely non-linear load. It takes high voltage to break down the gas inside, at which time the tube has nearly infinite impedance. Once the gas breaks down, the tube impedance drops to a few hundred ohms. The NST then provides a few hundred volts at 30 mA to keep the tube lit.

Even direct contact with the output of a NST is gonna sting bad but would be unlikely to be lethal except in the most unusual circumstances. Not that I am advocating taking hits from a NST -- it's just that NSTs are reasonably safe unless you do something deliberately stupid.

I think it would be extremely unlikely to get lethal currents out of your VDG even in the event of a runaway corona system event, unless you have a "Boston Museum of Science" sized top electrode. The max stored charge of your VDG is limited by the dimensions of the top terminal, the quality of the insulating column, and the dryness of the air.

The corona spray system allows the collector to charge faster to its maximum value than it would otherwise, but it can't accumulate any greater amount of stored charge or a higher voltage that it would without the corona spray system.

As I envision it, your system already has a high resistance built into it -- the air gap between the ends of the points of your corona electrode and the surface of the belt. Unless the applied voltage is too high, or the electrodes are too close to the (presumably grounded metal) lower roller, the air gap will provide all the resistance you need. Just adjust the spacing of the corona points, and the voltage of the NST with a Variac for optimum operation.

Ordinary paraffin from a home canning supply place is a good potting compound for your diodes, and it has the advantage that it can be melted out if you need to repair a part. Some RTV silicone rubbers release corrosive acetic acid during curing which can damage components, and epoxy is overkill.

BTW, if you haven't already built your HV rectifiers stack, Goldmine Electronics was offering ready made integrated 30 KV rectifiers at an attractive price. They should have more than enough capacity to handle even a 30 mA short circuit current from your NST.

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G20816

Dave