[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Watch "NST and motor run caps and current draw." on YouTube [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Watch "NST and motor run caps and current draw." on YouTube

OK, John,

What I see in the video looks quite reasonable.

Remember that a NST is not actually putting out 12 KV at 60 MA.

It can put out 12 KV into an open circuit at zero current.

It can put out 60 mA into a short circuit at zero volts, but not 12 KV and 60 mA at the same time.

When you are drawing an arc, there is some resistance in the arc itself. The amount of power drawn will depend on the resistance of the arc.

Because the transformers are an inductive load, the current draw alone may not be an accurate indicator of the actual power delivered.

Your PFC caps will help to make the transformer look more like a resistive load, but you would need a power factor meter to actually see what your effective power factor is.

Dave