[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Trinkaus coil [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Trinkaus coil

On 8/31/15 4:49 PM, Peter Noga wrote:
Thanx all for help and suggestions. Was hoping someone had actually built the coil in Trinkaus 'Tesla Coil' 3rd ed.
book/pamphlet. This will be my 1st coil and using every day parts as outlined in book intrigues me.
That's how most people start'

16 beer bottle caps in a Tupperware tub,

Typically, half a dozen or so beer bottles in a 5 gallon bucket is what folks do. It has a lid and a handle, so you can pick it up and move it, even when it's full.

3 1/2 x 18 PVC secondary,

The actual secondary winding will probably be shorter than that. 15" - shoot for about 1000 turns (opinions vary!) and pick your wire diameter accordingly.

 7 x 5 Tupperware storage container primary,

That's very, very small (think holding a dozen beer bottles?)

 terminal cap is an old copper toilet tank float. Yikes!

spherical toploads don't work as well as toroids, but I understand the artistic desire. You may want to combine a smallish toroid (dryer duct or pool noodle covered with foil) with your sphere. The toroid "shapes" the electric field along the secondary so it's more even, which reduces "racing sparks" and similar destructive phenomena.

Think flat primary, not cylindrical. There's no real advantage in a conical primary.

I strongly suggest you run your proposed designs on a spreadsheet or online calculator like javatc
http://www.classictesla.com/java/javatc/javatc.html

http://www.hvtesla.com/design.html is full of handy info.

I'm mounting the whole thing on a 1920's table with the 16 caps on a shelf under the top. Kitschy/steampunky. Lotsa fun I hope.
Maybe it'll even work...hope so.
Keep you posted.
Peter

Sent from my iPhone