[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Recent variac problem. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Recent variac problem.

Vincent,

What is the rating of the fuses you are using?  10 amps?

Are they slow blow or fast blow fuses?

Many old-school name brand variable autotransformers (Variac, Powerstat) can handle double their rated nameplate current ratings for short runs of 30 - 60 seconds without being damaged. Can't say the same for some of the cheap Asian imports, though.

A Variac is not the part of the circuit that provides current limiting. That is established by the NSTs themselves.

If you want to run 4 NSTs simultaneously, you will need a Variac big enough to provide the all current they require.

Adding power factor correction capacitors (PFC) to the transformer input may help manage their current drain.

Dave