From: David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, May 26, 2015 2:24 pm
Subject: Re: [TCML] Help the neophyte

Hi Doug,
Chances are if you are looking at the available newer style NSTs , they
are of the GFI'd inverter type and are pretty much useless for powering a spark
gap driven Tesla coil. What you should do is either as you suggest, see if
someone on this list has an extra old-style IRON CORED and non-GFI'd  NST that
they would be willing to sell you, or else search for one on eBay. These old
style, non-GFI iron cored beauties are now obsolete in the gas tube discharge
industry and have all pretty much been replaced with the GFI protected inverter
style units, which as I said, are useless for Tesla coils. You may also run into
some of the intermediate iron cored units that had a GFI built in.
Unfortunately, these are also useless for Tesla coil driving, unless you can
figure out how to surgically remove the GFI circuit from its innards. All of
this means that the old-style, non-GFI, iron cored units are becoming harder to
find and consequently, due to the still high demand for them amongst the Tesla
coil / high voltage hobbyists, their cost has also gone up significantly in the
last few years.
Yes, as you are discovering, this hobby is addictive and will
cause you to spend a lot of money that will sometimes get you into hot water
with the significant other - ask me how I know this ;^) If the spouse will allow
you you continue to fall head over heels into this little hobby of yours, I so
happen to have a few extra of those "big grey things" that you have spotted on
that pole in your yard that I could possibly be talked into selling one of, if
you were so predisposed to make the shipping or transport arrangements.
;^))
David

     On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 9:11 AM, Doug