[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Ultraviolet Observations? [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Ultraviolet Observations?

It would necessitate a very long exposure but you could do a pinhole camera.
Use a DSLR, get a body cap, drill a 0.25" hole through the center and tape a
piece of Al foil. Make a pinhole and give it a try.

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2013/12/15/how-to-make-a-pinhole-camera/

You could try to find a filter to cut the visible light or you could just
expose in the dark.

As for X Rays, wrap a piece of fast B&W film in some black paper or
cardboard and include a washer or coin in the package. Face the washer side
toward your coil. If there is any ionizing radiation, you will see a shadow.

You can still buy Kodak T-Max and Ilford Delta-3200 film both rated at ISO
1200 and both can be pushed to 3200 by longer times in the developer. Kodak
Tri-X and Ilford FP4 are ISO 400 and will have much better grain but
consequently less sensitive responses.

I prefer HC-110 from Kodak for developing - this is a concentrated liquid so
you add a few cc's to your developing bath and use it as a single-use
developer (dilute 1:60 and process for five minutes). You will need a stop
bath (half strength white vinegar) and a fixer to make the image
light-stable. You can get started for about $50 so it is a fun hobby. You
will need to manipulate, load and process your film in pitch-black dark. Cut
your film into 2" pieces as you need them and use drinking glasses for your
three baths. You could stick a loop of masking tape on one end for a handle.
After the fixer, rinse under running water for five minutes or so then dry
and look for the shadow of your washer.

Dave