[Home][2015 Index] [TCML] Question for solid-staters [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Question for solid-staters

Bert (et al)-

Yeah, I was thinking that that 0.4 must be unrealistic. However...my simple simulation incorporates a signal source that is independent of the secondary's Fr. I think that changing the P:S k is also changing the Fr of the secondary circuit in the process. Thus there is brought into play a mismatch between the simulation's input frequency and the secondary's Fr. In the hardware, I utilize the secondary's return-current to create the driving-current to the primary (after a 90 deg. phase-shift, amplification and pulse-burst gating, of course). That ensures a continual match between driving frequency and secondary Fr. I'm not going to bother simulating that further since I know it works, from my one successful altho insanely complicated effort a decade and more ago. We're stuck with the P:S k that we can achieve, of course, so I'm going to leave off the attempt at simulation of the k question and, when I get my 2nd driving module built, will just experiment with varying the P:P k (and the P:S, to a degree) while eyeballing the sparks.

BTW, after the expected frustration (and more) because of Murphy's Law, I've gotten my one driving module to work just fine, altho not yet with the secondary feedback activated. In 2T of 12"-diameter primary I measure >200A p-p, ~125 KHz, in 5 ms bursts at ~10/sec with only moderate warming of the 2 power transistors--& that's not yet at full input voltage. Next task is to finish the mounting-base for the primary & secondary coils, which has yet to include a small central coil-spring to receive the return-current. All the rest of the l.v. apparatus is already built & tested(and the secondary--two of them, in fact) fromprevious efforts. Then I will set the secondary in place, fire up the whole thing & see what I get from that 200A. The object will be to ultimately draw just under20A from the ~115V mains doubled & rectified, at 5ms/10-per-sec maximum spark rate, while at the same time keeping power-transistor temperature manageable. Happily, I already have enough of those $28 (!) IXFN60N80P transistors for 3 more modules--and have so far only smoked/flamed 1 of them, in my mains-doubler, a while back.

All of the above assuming, at 87, that I survive...

Ken

Re: [TCML] Question for solid-staters