[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Chicago Museum Tesla [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Chicago Museum Tesla

John,
There are real treasures in the Museum Of Science and Industry, the original stage Tesla Coils of Thomas Stanley Curtis.  One, the Oudin coil, is on display...  some excerpts from emails below...(the bipolar version is in their vaults)...Bill Wysock and possibly kVa Effects were there, but I am not sure what they installed...Bill was pissed that the Curtis coil surfaced after he had already flown back to LA!
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks so much for getting back to me! This is possibly very good news. I just got back up from measuring and photographing some of the details on the coil. They are below. I will send the images later, as I cannot find the cable to my camera at the moment.

OK, here are the measurements I took starting at the top:

Discharge Ball - 3.5" diameter
Secondary Coil - 21" diameter
Primary Coil - Inside: 21"; Outside: 27.5"

It seems that it might match the measurements you expected. Again, I will send you more images as soon as I can find the cable.

Best,

Charles

Charles McGhee Hassrick
Senior Exhibit Developer