[Home][2015 Index] [TCML] Primary turns, Capacitance & Topload: Torriod or Sphere? [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Primary turns, Capacitance & Topload: Torriod or Sphere?

In building my mid sized tesla coil;

6x31" secondary 24gauge 1400turns
12 turns 1.75" out 0.25" copper tubing (ROOM FOR ADDING MORE TUBING -12
MORE TURNS)

Capacitors: NOT DEFINED YET

Spark Gap: NOT DEFINED YET

(2) NSTs 15kv 60mA (120mA total)

What I need to look at next is the Topload and capacitors. I was trying to
figure out the numbers in the Tesla Map software I bought and it looks like
I'll need over 80 nF and I dont really know how to even start with the
Toploads as I don't know where to buy them at or should I make one? I don't
want to spend more than a couple of hundred on a topload. Is a sphere
cheaper and what size is needed. When I enter in various sizes it changes
my primary turns taping point.

Questions are:

1. Do I need to add more primary copper tubing or will too many turns
affect the spark size?

2. Torroid or Sphere sizes? Where to buy them or can I make them for this
size coil?

3. Capacitance? better to have more or less for this size coil?

Thank you for your help. Just getting a bit confused and what to get the
right items.

Tim