[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Variable Ballast [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Variable Ballast

Jon,

I've used the Lincoln 225 as a current limiter a number of projects. They always worked great, and can usually be found used as cheap as $40.00 if you check craigslist, etc.

Once I even bought a pallet of these (four new ones) to power a pair of massive 25kva Jacobs Ladders. I wired the welders as two sets of two with their primaries in parallel (outputs shorted internally) and ended up with two massive current limiters that worked great and had quite a range of adjustment (11x11 steps). The JL's even strained the 100kva Gennie that was powering them (but that was at 10,000 feet altitude in Keystone Colorado).

The other thing we did was to pop plastic plugs in the holes where the welding cables used to exit and made a custom graphic that covered the original faceplates.

When looking for a used one you might see it advertised as a Lincoln Tombstone welder or a Cracker Box welder.

Hope this helps,
BrianB