[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Power Source [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Power Source

Before considering the power source, you need to look at the larger picture.

First off, ceramic dielectric caps are a poor choice a Tesla coil tank
capacitor.  The dielectric is lossy at high frequencies, meaning it will
absorb some of the energy and heat up.  As it heats up its capacitance will
change and will change the resonant frequency of the tank circuit, so
keeping it in tune is impossible.

The 3kV voltage rating is also very low for a Tesla coil.  Your power
supply would need to be maybe 2kV max - too low for a coil.

The usual design and planning process for building a coil generally starts
with a power supply, and the choice of everything follow from there.  I
wrote something up on my web site - please see:
http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/howtodesign.htm

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA