From: Bert Hickman <bert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 01/25/2015  08:57  (GMT-06:00)
Subject: Re: [TCML] variac question

Hi John,

Yikes - it certainly is NOT normal! The ON/OFF switch is apparently
miswired so that it opens the neutral side instead of the hot side,
leaving the entire winding tied to 120V.

You need to take it apart and rewire it so that it works properly OR
take it back and holler at the seller for selling you this potential
widow-maker. In any event, you need to alert the seller (forcefully!).

Do not use it until you get it fixed or replaced. Your currently-wired
variac could be a lethal device - Off must ALWAYS mean OFF!

Bert