[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] 30 volt, 10 amp power supply [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] 30 volt, 10 amp power supply

Hi Tedd,

Before I answer some questions, I wanted to point out that the supplies you
had listed along with the ones suggested by David are linear units not
switching supplies (I think the original email thread title had 'Switching'
somewhere).

So you'll have to decide what sort of power supply would best suit your
needs. If you need a compact, portable and lightweight supply for rough /
power stuff like charging batteries or powering large motors etc, I'd
recommend a switching supply like the one I reviewed in my video. Note that
even the one I got (~$130) is considered a very basic switching supply, but
I think it's worth half the price of brand-name ones like BKprecision or
Instek. After discussing with KaitoUSA (this distributor), the LCD problem
has been fixed in all shipping models and he assured me that all new units
have this problem fixed.

The downsides with switching supplies would be the large ripple (100mV),
which may be a problem for sensitive electronics work. In that case a
linear supply would be better (but far heavier and less portable).

If you're doing general purpose electronics, one of those units you linked
would probably work fine. However, I also recently did a teardown of a
*linear* power supply here:
*http://loneoceans.com/labs/tekpower/
<http://loneoceans.com/labs/tekpower/>*
I found that even among cheap Chinese brands, the internal construction
differs quite a lot so this is something you should be aware of. If you are
looking for the absolute cheapest, Amazon has something for $66 (
http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Meter%C2%AE-Single-Output-Switchable-Alligator-Included/dp/B00O8DJ8QC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1421005883&sr=8-6&keywords=30V+10A+power+supply).
It does look like the really cheap Mastech/Dr.Meter ones do have
questionable build quality though. My webpage above has a quick comparison.

Finally, if you're really looking for a solid precision supply which will
last you the next decade or two or more, I'd recommend just spending a good
bit of money on a Rigol power supply instead.

Guangyan