From: Timothy Gilmore <tdg8934@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, Feb 22, 2015 8:23 pm
Subject: Re: [TCML] Dual identical FRANCE neon sign transformers (15000v 60mA each) in parallel

Thanks for the info Dave!

So if I have only 24" long 6" diameter PVC pipe to work with, I keep
reading that you need 2-3" on both ends of the pipe that I wont have then.

I'm assuming for the bottom end of he secondary pipe I would need to raise
it up 2-3" with a wooden block or other material BUT I am using 1" high
HDPE 12" long strips to hold the 50' of 1/4" refrigerator tubing, I would
assume I wouldn't have to raise the secondary only 1" then to make it even
with the 1" high HDPE strips. If it is raised only 1" I was thinking of
using PVC cement to attach it to the 1" high wooden block. I would then
attach the wooden block to the base with L brackets (non metal if I can
find them - but don't think it would matter).

PVC cement does not adhere well to wood.
Depending on the coupling, it may be necessary to have the bottom of the
secondary windings an inch or two above the level of the primary and
somewhat adjustable.

At the top of the 24" secondary (assuming almost the entire 24" length is
wire wound - or 23 to 23.5"), I would make it only about 23.5" and save the
last 0.5 inch to attach some way a toroid. BTW: is a large sphere any
better than a large torroid on this 6" diameter (24 " tall pipe) wound 23
or 23.5" of 26 gauge wire?

In my experience, large spheres do not work better better than a toroid.
They have aesthetic value.
I would like to use what I have already purchased but if I absolutely have
to have a longer 6" diameter, I think Menards has 10' lengths I saw online
but another expense for just being a few inches short with what I have at
24" already.

Another idea - since Lowes sells the 24" (6" diameter) pipe. whatabout
buying another 24" (6" diameter) pipe and using PVC cement them together
for 48" (6" diameter) and use a hacksaw to saw it down to maybe 30" or so,
Does that sound reasonable?

This sounds reasonable unless you are using very thinwall pipe. If using
thinwall, you would need to split a short length of pipe to make a gluing collar
that would fit inside and make the joint sturdier.You could also try using
a 4X6reducer on each end to make attachments to pieces of 4-in pipe. for
elevating the toroid etc.(Coil would look somewhat like a large rolling-pin?)

Thanks!

Tim