[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Building a medium sized Tesla Coil [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Building a medium sized Tesla Coil

Even my 10" coil with a jig was hand wound. I used a VS drill only to turn it while coating it and letting it dry.

      From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
 Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 9:35 AM
 Subject: Re: [TCML] Building a medium sized Tesla Coil

On 2/11/15 5:15 AM, Timothy Gilmore wrote:
> Thanks Gary. Although I like your thinking about winding your own secondary
> coil for pride reasons, I just don't have the tools and setup for that
> where I live (for a jig) and time so I will find one online that meets the
> requirements for my neon sign transformer. Thanks to you and this great
> resource for Tesla coil builders and enthusiasts!

My first two tesla coils, running of a NST, used handwound secondaries.
The first was on a cardboard mailing tube, the second on a piece of
pipe.  winding length on both about 18"-2 feet long, 3-4 inches in diameter.

One coil I built, start to finish, in less than a day, and it had a
handwound secondary.
http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlux/images/tc2.jpg

You just sit there for a couple hours with your spool of wire and your
tube, and a scotch tape dispenser so you can tape the wire down
periodically.  It really doesn't take that long to put 800-1000 turns
on the tube. You can easily do 1 turn second (try it), and 1000 seconds
is less than 20 minutes.

In fact, my first attempt to do a machine wound secondary, using a
lathe, was quite the adventure.

If I had to do it today, I'd use the variable speed electric drill
approach, and still do the wire feed by hand.