[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] VDG pickups (was Ignition coil driver) [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] VDG pickups (was Ignition coil driver)

I can confirm from my own experiments, if i use a strip of copper with very short pins as a brush i get much better performance. In fact one brush setup uses a copper strip wrapped on a nylon tube with pins pushed through and it provides considerably more apparent charge transfer than pins soldered to a pcb.

----- Reply message -----
From: "p_novotny via Tesla" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TCML] VDG pickups (was Ignition coil driver)
Date: Tue, Dec 22, 2015 8:47 PM

Hi Doug - excellent workmanship!

I built a homemade VDG generator too and it will shock me from about 18" away.

Mine uses a bedframe castor attached to a oscillating fan motor and it turns a belt made from nylon stockings over a teflon rod (just friction - not a roller).  I use little metal screen patches as my pickup brushes.  They don't touch the belt, but they seem to do an adequate job nonetheless.  Where do you source your motors?

I am just putting the finishing touches on my first Tesla Coil at the moment too and am excited to try it out.  These things are funny (kinda like the VDG generator) - you invest countless hours on it, not knowing if your are going to get an ounce of satisfaction from it.  Hopin' for good luck on the Tesla Coil.

Thanks - Paul

Hi Derek; What you see is
conductive plastic film riding on the rollers
attached with copper tape, rollers are PVC and
aluminum tape covered
acrylic. I did do
comparisons, plastic film produced 30% more current. Belt

Is neoprene.
Doug