[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Seaching for Mike Delosier [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Seaching for Mike Delosier

Only one VDG roller needs a crown, and then only maybe 1/16th to 3/32 at the most.

On 8/26/2015 9:48 AM, John Nelson wrote:
I see from the Theraband website that the thickest is the Gold Max series.  I can see that a lot of my problems come from using thin banding.  I got some from one of my customers when I was working.  Work, now that is a bad word that I don't use anymore.  I tried to make a belt out of it, but it kept stretching and would not stay on the rollers.  The tapered rollers I made in my shop would not keep my vinyl belt on.  It only would contact the roller in the very center instead of conforming to the roller.  Big ahaaaaa.  Now back to the shop for more changes.  I really like the VDG and have had a lot of fun with it.  Kids love it if I can keep it running long enough.  I used a teflon top roller and a nylon bottom roller with vinyl belting.  Keeping in mind the, and now I can't think of the name of it, chart that tells the static characteristics of materials.  The latex belting should have worked out because if you take some of it and pull it over your arm you get tons of static.
I will check out the good ole local Wallmart to see if they have the gold Theraband, if not I can order it by the foot at, I think, Ebay.  Some place like that.
My big dream was to make a huge one.  That is why I checked out making a 36 inch sphere.
My other dream is to make a huge Wimshurst as I told you.  I like bigger and better.  If I could only make lightning I would do it.  Push that button and stand back.
Off to Wallmart.

-----Original Message-----
From: msweeney23@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 19:34:58 -0500
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [TCML] Seaching for Mike Delosier

Thicker latex can be found as 'maximum resistance' exercise bands from
wallmart $8 a pack. I use them exclusively and they work extremely well,
better than any other I have tried.

Matt

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 9:21 AM, John Nelson <ybnormal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for sending those.  You have given me some ideas that I can work
on.  Instead of bowls for the sphere I use garden gazing balls.  They
come
in many sizes and look great, but the same old problem of the opening is
there.  I can see that you have tried to cut down on the corona like I
have
using rings.  I tried rings made out of copper tubing and plate aluminum
and still get corona discharge.  I have tried to turn the opening upward
like the ones you can buy, but have not been successful.  The main
problem
is that the gazing balls are made out of stainless and the professional
ones are aluminum.  Aluminum is much more malleable and is easy to
shape.
There is a company that will form any size ball up to 36 inches and will
also form the opening that is turned upward.  I contacted them and they
only want $4000 to make one.  Might as well be 4 million to me.  I would
make a nice display though.  I keep on entering the lottery, but so far
have only won one dollar.  3999 to go.  As far as the belts, I have been
using vinyl strips that is used in upholstery.  Vinyl does not work on
rounded rollers as I will not conform to the round shape.  It is too
stiff.  I got some exercise latex straps, cut them to length, fastened
the
ends together and tried to run them, but I think the material is too
thin
as it did not work.  I could use some heavier latex, but I don't know
where
to get it.
As far as Tesla coils are concerned, I have made several, the first one
in
high school back in the 50's.  I got a kit from Tesla works, (Alan) and
it
works OK, but I wanted bigger.  I then got a solid state one from Dan
McCauley (Eastern Voltage Research), but it does not work and they can't
fix it.  $2100.00 down the tubes. It now just collects dust in my
garage.
I contacted the man in Oklahoma that built the very large one he runs
outdoors, but he won't release any information on how it is built.  You
can
see it run if you search "very large Tesla coil".
I have a larger VDG in partial assembly, but am waiting on how to solve
the belt walk issue and the corona issue as well.  A search for thicker
latex is next, I guess. I can machine any parts I need as I have a
machine
shop.

Thanks

John