[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Question for solid-staters [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Question for solid-staters

Ken, that's correct; Ultimately, it's the total ampere-turns applied to the secondary that matters.

Long ago at SLAC we developed solid-state modulators that used many primary turns in parallel on the main HV transformer. Each primary and it's solid-state driver could then be electrically isolated from the others. You would add more primaries in parallel to increase the total drive level and throughput power.

Here's a solid-state design from 2001, which used 76 primary circuits in parallel:

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/cgi-wrap/getdoc/slac-pub-9454.pdf

This approach was called a 'fractional-turn transformer' and worked ok, although HV IGBTs back then were still improving at a rapid pace. We were using 3300V IGBT modules, at around 2500V each. There were some odd failure scenarios though, which prompted me at that time to start cracking open and studying faulted IGBTs:

http://lod.org/misc/Leyh/Papers/IGBTPAC2003.pdf

With sufficient care and synchronization, think that paralleled primary circuits should work ok on a Tesla coil. -Greg