[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] My first tesla coil [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] My first tesla coil

Some of you mini tesla coil builders might like this little demo on my you-tube channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQe-PQnyiZ8

On 4/9/2015 11:52 AM, Jim Lux wrote:
On 4/9/15 7:38 AM, Timothy Gilmore wrote:
Thanks for sharing Doug.

One question to the group...as I am building my new toroid, I was under the
impression that a smooth surface like I saw with Doug's machined toroid
would provide only 1-2 sparks but I saw many like I get on my aluminum
ducting toroid. Is this the case also with machined toroids?

The science of spark development and growth is very poorly understood. There's a book "Spark Discharge" by Bazelyan and Raizer from about 10 years ago that has a lot of theory, but the summary is that "it's complex and hard to model"

In my experience, smooth surfaces tend to have many sparks, because a spark can grow from one place as well as another. The whole "breakout point" thing (a thumbtack stuck to the toroid, or a screwdriver laying over the edge) is an attempt to create a preferential point from which sparks develop.

The visible sparks you see are really the combination of many sparks. The individual sparks grow very quickly (nanoseconds), dissipating and reforming on every halfcycle of the RF. IN some cases, the sparks tend to follow the same path, extending the channel a bit more each time. In others, it doesn't.

It is believed that there's an interaction between the size of the topload (which sets the energy available for each individual spark event) and the resonant frequency, and the bang rate.

If you have a very smooth surface and a very uniform surroundings and a bit of air movement, each time a new little spark starts to form, it can form in a new place, because one place is as good as another, and the moving air disperses any residual "partly ionized" channel as well as cooling the topload.

A narrow point, with no moving air, can
a) provide a preferential spot for the spark to start
b) get hotter, aiding in spark growth because hot things emit electrons
c) leave the hot air from the previous spark in a convenient place.

But there's a tradeoff.. if the spark forms too soon on the topload, it drains the energy out of the topload (being fed in from the secondary) before it has time to accumulate. If there's not enough energy to "feed the spark", it stops growing.

Tim