[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Tesla Coil parameters list like Tesla Map software (i.e. spark length, secondary height, # of NSTs)? [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Tesla Coil parameters list like Tesla Map software (i.e. spark length, secondary height, # of NSTs)?

Tim - Here is my take on spark gaps. First you say you have two gaps in parallel, not series but parallel? Only one spark at a time can happen in a parallel gap set up, maybe it will switch back and forth from one to the other but only one at a time. A single gap can provide the least resistance and more current in the primary circuit but does not quench and control ring down very well. putting multiple gaps in Series seems to provide an improvment in quenching and ring down control. To experiment with series multiple gaps would seem to be a logical next step, two, four, maybe even six gaps in series. A lot of people have had good results with the Richard Quick multi gap and is not to difficult to construct. The next step up would be a sucker gap, a lot of people like these and they give real good results, there are examples on the net. But I believe the best and most difficult is the Sync Rotary gap. my recommendation would be to experiment with the progression of gaps above but keep an eye to words the sync Rotary. Some thing I wish more people would do too, is cover your spark gap, put a largish box over it to block the light from it and to quiet it down a bit, doesn't have to be fancy, just a simple wooden box placed over it wile your running. Nasty gasses build up inside but for the length of time most of us run our coil it will be ok. For a 15kv NST the max voltage it can handle is about 25kv +- a bit peak, so you want the largest cap you can charge to 25kv. The Geek group capacitor chart is very good at appropriate cap values for a type of setup/gap being used.

Thanks
David