[Home][2014 Index] [TCML] Possible use of SCR in Tesla Coil [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Possible use of SCR in Tesla Coil

Dear Group,
I was dredging through the list archives and found mention of SCRs being
successfully used by a man in a magnifier years ago.

I found his website in the archives but it only has two pages:
https://web.archive.org/web/20010519065013/http://home.hiwaay.net/~eburwell/

I am continuing my work with thyratron pumped tesla coils and had the idea
of using an inductor to limit current into the parallel LC network (to
reduce stresses on the thyratron and pulse cap). It was good to see he had
already used the idea years ago to limit the current through the SCR.

I know the conduction time and recovery is longer for a SCR than a H2
thyratron but seems as they are not shuffling energy between the inductor
and capacitor in the tank circuit it shouldn't matter. There would just be
a variable pulse rate at which the SCR discharges a capacitor into the
parallel tuned LC network. I would be looking at 200 to 2000 pps.

Here is a schematic of my existing thyratron tesla coil, an SCR just need
be substituted:
http://russianpoweredvttc.blogspot.com.au/2014/09/thyratron-tesla-coil-plans-theory-and.html?m=1

A saturable reactor would need to be added to limit current through the SCR.

I find this idea attractive because SSTC are too difficult for me to build
and SCRs are pretty cheap.

It would be a very simple thing to test. As a layman I have to ask is there
any flaws to this idea?

Cheers!
-Wil