[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Homemade Crookes Tube? [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Homemade Crookes Tube?

Paul,

I am certainly no authority on this matter but from what I have gleaned, you are not going to produce "hard" x-rays in this manner. Besides the hard vacuum, this would also require a white-hot filament (for an electron source) for the cathode, a heavy metal target (usually tungsten) for the anode, and well over ~50  kVDC potential between the said cathode and anode to really produce the ionizing, body penetrating hard x-rays (even dental x-ray tubes typically run about 70 kV(DC)). That being said, if you are powering your tube with say 10 to 20 kVDC, you may produce some low energy "soft" x-rays, but I don't think it's going to be a significantly ionizing radiation source. I'm not even sure if you can produce any kind of x-rays at all with AC? That's just "my" 2 cents. ;^)

David