Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2014 5:54 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Pulse Cap question + VIDEO

Hi Stefan,

Nice find!! The high rep rating suggests that these caps may use low-loss polypropylene-foil-oil or polyester (PET/Mylar-foil or PET-Paper-foil) construction. Hopefully, you may be able to get the actual dielectric specifications from Haefely Hipotronics.

If the caps use a PP dielectric system, they should easily handle 400 BPS in short intermittent TC usage. In PFN application, each cap would normally see no more than 10% voltage reversal. Assuming 10% VR, don't charge them above 22 kV in TC use. You may also want to use sufficient tank inductance to limit peak primary current to no more than 400A. This assumes these caps were originally part of a 50 ohm PFN that delivered half of the line voltage (or 20 kV) into a 50 ohm load.

If the caps use a PET dielectric system, then they may overheat in TC usage. Unless you can confirm construction with the manufacturer, use them cautiously in a TC (short duration runs and closely monitor for signs of excessive heating). Allow sufficient time for heat to propagate from the inner part of the capacitor rolls to the metal case.

Any idea what kind of equipment these came from? I've seen similar capacitor modules used in some medical LINAC's.

Good luck,

Bert

Teslalabor wrote:
Hi Bert,

much thanks for this info. I was already on the road for picking up the
PFN's and read your mail via smartphone, just in time. So I was a little
bit forewarned that there could be internal inductors. Then I saw the
caps and what a relief - I was very happy to see nice EXTERNAL inductors
mounted to the insulators :-) Looks pretty cool, never seen anything
like this before, made a short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO7sVuXbDYU

So after we eliminated the 4,5µsec thing, I think when removed the
inductors, these caps will give damn nice low inductance tank caps for
some biggg tesla project :-) The capacitance can be varied in 30nF steps
up to 210nF, when all 7 caps are in parallel. The 2 big ones, as mentioned:

40kV
7 x 0.03µF
300pps
(4,5µsec)

The small one:

25kV
7 x 0.01µF
360pps
(4,0µsec)

By the way, what would happen, if you push the 300pps caps to lets say
400pps? Thermal issues? Think this would be not critical for short run
times?

Regards,
Stefan

<snip>