[Home][2014 Index] [TCML] Number of stationary electrodes & gap spacing in RSG [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Number of stationary electrodes & gap spacing in RSG

Hi Phil and Stefan,

First of all, congratulations to both of you on a pristine design for your coils. Both systems would still be downright pretty if they never made the first spark :-))

Now as far as rotary gap spacing and such, please allow me to share my personal experience in this matter. My coil is the Green Monster and is of the generic AC driven from a typical 14.4 kV pole pig with an ASYNC rotary gap (about the simplest rotary gap driven coil system- I like keeping it as simple as possible). Now I had originally ran with a single 10.5" dia.  X 1/2" thick G-10 disc with 8 flying tungsten electrodes and just 2 mounted (1/2" dia) stationary tungsten electrodes. Now my rotary gap isn't nearly as pristine and precision made as either of yours but I was still able to get sufficiently close spacing between the flying and stationary electrodes to get steady and reliable firing without stationary/flying electrodes crash. I then decided to try out 4 stationary electrodes as opposed to 2. After modifying for this setup, I was still able to get reasonably reliable firing across 4 gap points as opposed to 2, but there was a new issue that I had not had with the 2 gap points. Since my flying electrodes were now each seeing 2 firings per revolution, as opposed to one, they were now getting hot enough during operation that they were actually blistering the G-10 material around them on the disc, in spite of the generous airflow generated by whirling at ~3000 rpm! Also, it actually seemed as if the output sparks were ever so slightly weaker at a giving power input setting than they were with just 2 gap points. I ended up  installing 3/8" shaft collar sleeves on each (3/8" dia) tungsten flying  electrode to help add a bit of thermal mass as well as increased surface area. This did seem to keep them a "wee-bit" cooler, but there still seemed to be a slight decrease in the coil's output.

Long story short, I ended up going back to the original 2-gap point design and the flying electrodes are now running notably cooler (I left the added shaft collars in place since they also help anchor the flying electrodes in place). The gap spacing  tolerance is also less critical and the output sparks are now back to like they originally were ;-)

I recall reading somewhere in one of the old TCBA newsletters that it was possible to "over quench" a spark gap to the point that the coil's output deteriorates, since every gap in a series gap system wastes some of the energy that ultimately ends up in the output sparks (maybe Richard Hull?) I know it seems strange that there would be a noticeable difference in the output of a multi-kilowatt pole pig driven coil system with just the addition of 2 extra seriesed gaps and maybe it was just my imagination, but it sure seemed that the output was not quite as bright with 4 gaps as opposed to 2. May work a little different for a DC res. charging system though, as I have no personal experience with this type of setup.

David Rieben