[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] questions regarding "Fat Coil" QCW Double Resonant SSTC [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] questions regarding "Fat Coil" QCW Double Resonant SSTC

Hi Miles,

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 1:37 AM, miles waldron <mileswaldron@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> It seems very portable with the short secondary.

Its true, i load the whole system easily into my 4-door sedan.

> If the hot plasma goes
> straight it is more like a lightning gun, or plasma weapon. This is
> exactly perfect for research.

Maybe so... ive heard of tesla coils in research for similar things... i
wouldn't mind getting paid to play with this stuff, but at the same time i
don't really see where to go with it.

> Does anyone understand those amazing
> primary designs; the way they fan out and up?

I havent seen this much in the past, but i prefer this style of primary
now.  The goal is to minimize electric field stress at the edges of the
primary to reduce the likelihood of flashover problems.  I call it a
"basket" primary.

> Is Steve getting arrays of
> IGBTs to work in parallel or in synchrony?

Id say both.  There are 32 IGBTs driving the RF into the coil.  Transistors
dont scale up nicely, the bigger they get the slower they are, so banks of
little cheap ones seems to be the ticket to high power and high frequency
switching.  Just like the MMC, the MMT (multi-mini Transistor) seems to be
the economical way towards bigger sparks :-).  Getting all those
transistors to share the load is a bit harder than parallel MMC strings,
unfortunately, but still very doable with several methods already
demonstrated.

Steve