[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Air compressor quenching [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Air compressor quenching

I have all the nitrogen I want at work through piping and hoses. But no idea where you would find some and if bottled how long would it last?

-----Original Message----- From: John F. Cooper III
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2014 4:19 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Air compressor quenching

Quenching with compressed air works great. Compressed nitrogen works
noticeably better.
I have constructed 'manifolds' from acrylic tubing which direct the
air blast right where the electrodes spark. Pressures beyond ~90 psi
elicit no noticeable improvement. I have found small fans barely help,
a high-speed motor, such as a vacuum motor are more in line but cannot
compare to directly quenching the gap with compressed air/nitrogen.

John C
www.tesla-coil.com

Quoting John Cooper <wt5y@xxxxxxxxx>:

Ok so quenching my gap did bring noticeable improvement. I had some 120v fans but there big computer case style fans that dont really concentrate air flow. And I dont wanna listen to a vacuum cleaner so sucker fan out of the question. I have a blow gun rigged up now but I'm gonna pipe the air from a quick disconnect to the gap. Think I can regulate it down to say 30-50psi to make my 20 gallon tank last for a good run. Anyone already done this? Tips tricks what to watch for etc would be apreciated.

John WT5Y

Sent from my Cricket smartphone